At the risk of sounding like I never eat anything except ice cream and raspberry mousse and cookies, which is probably only about 40% true (the other 60% of my diet comprises of Sour Patch Watermelons), I would consider it a public travesty if I did not post my vegan Samoas recipe. Samoas were always my favorite Girl Scout cookie (or maybe Thin Mints, I can never decide), and I like them despite their slight inherent bigotry. In fact, I liked them so much I think that buying communal Samoas was one of the household chores during Girl Scout season.
My qualifications for making Samoas: I have probably eaten about 7000 of them in the course of my lifetime. Now, I know that there are other vegan samoas recipes out there. However, this one is better. This one is PERFECT. and AUTHENTIC. If you enjoy perfection, you will enjoy these cookies. (That last line is better said in a very deeeeeeeeeppp voice.)
makes 24 | total time: 1 hour
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 1/4 cup cake flour
- 1/4 cup vegan sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and have ready a Silpat or parchment lined pan.
2. Mix everything together in a medium sized bowl and knead gently until it forms a cohesive lump. On a slightly floured surface, roll out to a 3/8″ thickness, then cut out small rounds the size of the regular Samoas. I guarantee that you will have something in your kitchen the right size; you just have to be creative. I used the top of a vitamin jar. Repeat until you have used all the dough, re-rolling only when necessary.
3. For the anal folk (like me): Cut out the middle part, so that it really resembles the Girl Scout kind. I used the top of an Expo marker. mmmmm, dry erase markers…
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until just starting to brown.
Coconut Caramel Goop
- 2/3 cup vegan sugar
- 3 tablespoons Earth Balance
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut.
1. In a small pan over medium heat, melt the vegan sugar, stirring constantly. The sugar will melt, then start to caramelize. Right when the caramel starts to smoke, dump in the Earth Balance and the soy milk, whisking to combine.
2. Continue to cook until slightly thickened and you can see the bottom of the pan when you slide your spatula across the bottom.
3. Take off the heat and stir in the vanilla and the coconut.
To assemble, as soon as the caramel coconut goop is cool enough to handle, spread it evenly on the cookies. It doesn’t matter if it isn’t perfect because when it cools down even further, you can press it down with slightly wet fingers. When the caramel stuff is relatively dry, dip the bottoms in melted chocolate and then drizzle more chocolate on top.